Sen. Dodd Responds to the Governor’s May Budget Revision
SACRAMENTO – Sen. Bill Dodd, D-Napa, made the following statement today about Gov. Gavin Newsom’s revised 2019-20 state budget, which increases investments in schools and wildfire prevention while building up reserves and paying down pension debt.
“I commend Gov. Newsom for a budget that shows his prudent handling of California’s finances while bolstering our investments in schools and wildfire protection,” Sen. Dodd said. “It’s a plan that reflects our shared values. And it is one we can build on going forward. I look forward to working with the administration in the coming weeks as we make our state better for all.”
The revised, $213 billion budget represents a $4 billion uptick over his budget released in January. It anticipates a $21.5 billion surplus. Highlights include:
- An historic $81.1 billion for education. Keeps in place plan for universal full-day, full-year preschool for all income-eligible 4-year-olds, phased in over three years.
- Increased funding to provide full-day kindergarten
- Two years of free community college tuition
- Increasing rainy day reserve to $16.5 billion.
- The more than doubling of the California Earned Income Tax Credit, which Sen. Dodd helped create several years ago by investing $1 billion in a new “Working Families Tax Credit” – reaching an additional 400,000 families.
- Upgrades to the state’s 911 system, $200 million to augment Cal Fire’s firefighting capabilities, building on the $200 million for forest management approved in Sen. Dodd’s SB 901, and continuing $25 million in mutual aid prepositioning that Sen. Dodd secured in 2018.
- $1 billion on programs to help the homeless.
- Funding for the planning and transition of the Sonoma Developmental Center, along with the preservation of the open space.
Senator Bill Dodd represents the 3rd Senate District, which includes all or portions of Napa, Yolo, Sonoma, Solano, Sacramento and Contra Costa counties. More information on Senator Bill Dodd can be found at www.senate.ca.gov/dodd.