California Budget: Sen. Dodd Responds to May Revise
SACRAMENTO – Sen. Bill Dodd, D-Napa, issued the following statement today upon the release of Gov. Gavin Newsom’s revised $300 billion budget, which gives back part of an unprecedented surplus to families faced with skyrocketing gas and utilities costs, while supporting essential services such as schools, drought relief and wildfire protection.
“Gov. Newsom’s revised proposal brings us another step closer to passing a balanced budget that tackles the most critical issues facing California,” Sen. Dodd said. “From housing to healthcare, economic recovery and fighting the drought and wildfires, this proposal makes substantial investments moving California forward. And we're doing it responsibly by paying down debts and building reserves. Over the next month, the Legislature will build upon and fine-tune this framework and hammer out how to best get financial relief to working families.”
Gov. Newsom’s budget is bolstered by a $97.5 billion surplus, which is $55 billion above the January budget forecast. The windfall helps fuel a $37 billion rainy day fund while providing direct relief to California families who are struggling amid rising inflation. Highlights include:
- $128 billion to K-12 education for a record $16,991 per pupil.
- The revision proposes $200 million to develop and repair existing childcare infrastructure, especially in low-income communities.
- $18.1 billion in cash relief to California families to help offset rising gas prices and inflation. Includes $11.5 billion in tax refunds and $2.7 billion in rental assistance.
- $1.4 billion for utilities relief. Includes $200 million to help Californians pay delinquent water bills, in support of Sen. Dodd’s Senate Bill 222.
- Additional $1.6 billion for drought relief and water resilience
- $8 billion for energy resiliency
- $57 million to increase access to women's reproductive healthcare
- $17 billion on top of the $20 billion previously proposed for key infrastructure, from housing, to transportation, water, and climate change and wildfire mitigation.
Senator Bill Dodd represents the 3rd Senate District, which includes all or portions of Napa, Solano, Yolo, Sonoma, Contra Costa, and Sacramento counties. You can learn more about the district and Senator Dodd at www.sen.ca.gov/dodd.