Fire Prevention & Preparedness
Throughout California’s history we have seen the devastating effects of fire. Our region has suffered the most destructive wildfires in California’s history. Preparing now for fires in or near your home can help mitigate the damage if a fire strikes.
Every year California sees thousands of wildfires. I strongly encourage residents to take steps to protect their homes and loved ones by preparing.
Ensuring you have defensible space, an emergency plan and emergency kit are critical in preparing for wildfire. I urge residents to visit CAL FIRE’s www.readyforwildfire.org, to learn how you can prepare. Tips include:
- Defensible Space
- Making your home more fire resistant
- Emergency Plans and Evacuation Kits
- Fire Prevention though Safe Equipment Use
- And More
Additionally, you can:
- Sign up for Nixle alerts by texting your ZIP CODE to 888777 or sign up online. This app allows government agencies to send messages to local residents via phone, email and web. Information is delivered almost instantly.
- Download the Ready for Wildifre app, from CAL FIRE, which includes safety checklists, customized wildfire texts or push notifications, fire maps, and more.
In addition to preparing for wildfires, it is important to note that most fires start in the home. That’s why it is important for every home to have smoke alarms. Indeed, according to the California Building Code, all residences must have them. They should be installed on every level of your home, outside each sleeping area and inside each bedroom. You can learn tips on properly installing smoke alarms and avoiding fires through the National Fire Protection Association.